So... I just updated to profit v1.1.0 and added nbenchmark=5L in profitSetupData to see what happens: My Laptop simply crashes, the big machine at least manages to print an error message before that. The console output is "libgomp: Out of memory allocating 395136992576 bytes" and the log file says "Error in FUN(X, ...) : 'mckill' failed Calls: %dopar% ... mclapply -> cleanup -> mckill -> unlist -> lapply -> FUN Execution halted" This happens even if I run a single galaxy on a single core with just 1 benchmark. Everything works fine if I set nbenchmark to 0 (so that's the good news). Any ideas what it's doing there (I can see how it would run out of memory if it seriously tries to allocate half a Terabyte to a single benchmark of a single galaxy, but why would it do that?)/how to solve this (other than just turning off the benchmarking)/has anybody else got similar issues?
Also, by crashing on your laptop do you mean when running in Rstudio? Can you try running it in an R session in the terminal and see if there's any output? Try setting printbenchmark=TRUE and see if it gets to actually doing anything useful.
so I think the problem occurs when I set nbenchmark without setting omp_threads: The example given in ?profitSetupData works if I run it as is (except it warns me that I don't have OpenCL support), but it fails as soon as I remove the omp_threads=4 argument.
Running the example as given prints: name env_name version dev_name tinms.mean_single tinms.mean_double 1 brute NA NA NA NA 4.8 2 fft NA NA NA NA 30.6  "Best convolver: 'brute' device: 'NA', t=[4.80e+00 ms]" Warning message: In profitOpenCLEnvInfo() : This ProFit package was not compiled with OpenCL support
I get the same output when removing most of the benchmarking arguments going back to defaults: Data=profitSetupData(image=image, sigma=sigma, segim=segim, mask=mask, psf=psf, modellist=modellist, tofit=tofit, tolog=tolog, magzero=0, algo.func='optim', verbose=TRUE, nbenchmark = 5L, printbenchmark = TRUE, omp_threads=4)
BUT if I remove omp_threads then Rstudio crashes and running it in the terminal gives "libgomp: Out of memory allocating 395136992576 bytes" (so the same it gave me on the big machine) and then closes R (no other output).